impcat (short for Interactive Miniature Painting Catalogue) is a simulator for photorealistic painting results on gaming and tabletop miniatures.
This tool gives you a variety of miniature images with individually customizable body sections, that you can paint with colours you own or perhaps wish to purchase. It works with predefined colour palettes, using names and values as promoted by their manufacturers.
To achieve a high quality result the system simulates a four step painting process:
Base colouring, layering, shading and highlighting.
- A set of 6 built-in miniatures, by Artel "W", with up to nearly 30 individually paintable sections
- A set of built-in colour palettes, as well as additional palettes from our DLC server (around 1000 paints to choose from, and growing)
- A file handling system for importing custom image and paint templates (visit impcat.de/faq for instructions)
- Access to a growing online library of free DLCs (visit impcat.de/about for full list of contents)
- An automated complement recommendation mode that lets you select a base colour and then automatically applies harmonizing layer, shade and highlight paints, which you can then customize at will.
- A photorealistic simulation of the applied paints.
- A shopping list generator that collects the data of all applied colours and gives you the links to the corresponding shop pages
- Saving and loading options for your colour configurations
- A colour creating tool, for creating opaque and metallic paints of any colour you like
- A colour mixing tool, for testing mix results of your paints
- A randomizer, for getting colour scheme inspiration by letting impcat ramdomly distribute a set of colours across the model
A recent update on the iPad version made it such that I can no longer select zones on the model with my Apple Pencil. This is a critical bug and is a major deterrent to using the app. If you can find the time, PLEASE FIX IT 🙏As many have already stated, this app is awesome. So many of us in the hob…
May 28, 2022
This app is pretty good as it stands, could use some improvements so that it runs smoother. I feel later down the line if updates (paints, models, some stability) continue that this would be something I could see myself using for many many projects. Update: 4/23/2022 if there were a way to easier up…
Apr 22, 2022