In our latest report, we created a step-by-step guide to assess the state of mobile gaming in Q3 2021 and how Game IQ can help game developers make better decisions on how to monetize, engage and retain your players.
Mobile gaming is the most popular form of gaming, with consumer spending across the app stores set to surpass $120B by the end of 2021. It’s a fantastically healthy market. But the diversity in gaming genres and gameplay features is expanding all the time. This leaves developers with tough choices to make. They have to ponder questions such as:
- Which genres are doing well?
- Which genres offer the best growth opportunities in the future?
- What are the regional variations to look out for?
In the report, we provide possible answers via a granular breakdown of six top performing genres by download, consumer spend and engagement.
The genres are:
- Runner (Action)
- Slots (Casino)
- Puzzle (Hypercasual)
- M3-Meta (Match)
- Competitive Racing (Racing)
- 4X March-Battle (Strategy)
Let’s take the 4X March Battle (Strategy) genre. The chart below shows the quarterly breakdown of total downloads, consumer spend and average retention rate for games within this genre:
Developers can also discover the top performing titles and new entrants in the market, see what they’re up against, and get inspired by their performance.
In Q3 2021, Evony has the most downloads and active users, while Rise of Kingdoms leads in terms of spend, The Ants: Underground Kingdom leads the new breakout game by downloads’ growth quarter-over-quarter.
Feature Deep Dive: What’s Working Among Top Games
The revenue options for game managers are constantly evolving. Loot boxes, limited time offers, IAP bundles… new ideas enter the market all the time. It’s important for game managers to stay on top of these innovations, so they can answer questions such as:
- How can I get the roadmap right in such a competitive landscape?
- How can I make sure I maximize my resources and time?
- Which monetization tools work best for a specific game genre?
- How much spend can I expect from my active users?
The report gives readers a chance to see how Game IQ answers the above questions and more. Sticking with the 4X March Battle genre, we can see which titles are delivering the most revenue, and the regions in which they are dominant.
The report also shows the indexed consumer spend for titles we categorize as ‘heavy hitters’, ‘ARPU leaders’, ‘average performers’ and ‘ARPU stragglers’. Armed with this information, game managers can assess how their titles are performing against the competition.
But the data goes much deeper than this. For example, product managers can use our Compare Games report to surface information about how specific game art style, gameplay loops and monetization models are currently performing. The below chart from the report reveals the monetization choices of the top performers in the 4X March Battle sub-genre. It shows how Top War: Battle Game has the most comprehensive set of monetization features compared to its peers, including mixing advertising based monetization with other common premium currency and consumables techniques that are common within this genre.
And the report also provides snake preview into our Gameplay Gallery report to illustrate how the top performing games present their monetization features. The Gameplay Gallery below illustrates some examples of how Customizable IAP Bundles were implemented in Rise of Kingdoms and State of Survival.
The above is just a taster of the insights contained in the Create A Winning Mobile Gaming Strategy and Feature Roadmap report. Read the full report to uncover:
- Which high-growth and emerging gaming subgenres are poised for disruption in the gaming market: how to monitor shifts in the gaming industry and seize the next big opportunity
- What mobile games are dominating the attention of Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X/ Baby Boomers and how audience insights can give you a competitive edge
- How monetization and engagement tactics differ by market and mobile game genre: how deep feature tagging, advanced taxonomy and user acquisition trends fuel a stand-out gaming strategy
- What are the key drivers of success for top-performing mobile games today: how in-depth case studies on major titles can uncover industry best practices for success
Ready to uplevel your mobile gaming performance? Read How to Create Winning Mobile Gaming Strategy and Feature Roadmap:
November 30, 2021Mobile Gaming